Wednesday 18 July 2007

"Library Park"


In preparation for an upcoming art show, I decided to explore the neighborhood with an eye toward depicting our local landmarks the way children would see it. So I spent a morning following my little boy around Library Park, which was a daunting task because he doesn't really slow down to take in the sights.

Here are two paintings which will be included in the show. I tried to capture the contrast of deep shadows and bright sunlight, and how the environment, though still and serene, was alive with movement and possibility. The exposed roots of the magnolia tree in the first painting inspire never-ending fascination for my son, who has been climbing them since he was barely able to walk. Just around the corner, the library entrance (now used as a community room) was the site of countless climbing sessions, up and down the steps, right before the weekly toddler story time.

These are landmarks we pass each day on the way to Trader Joe's, the post office, or the ice cream parlor, and it's been great fun to capture them in this way.

2 comments:

Patricia J. Mosca said...

These paintings are MARVELOUS!!!!!!
They should sell like HOT CAKES!
I Love the point of view of these!

Cheryl Finley said...

Lea,
You do amazing work! This has such depth and a tactile sense to it. I feel like I can feel the tree's roots beneath my feet, and the excitement of the little boy's exploration. Your work is very rich.
Thank you for your wonderful art!