Friday 29 June 2007

"Let's put on a show!"

When I was five, I used to eagerly await the 5 o'clock hour every afternoon. If the television set was behaving and cosmic forces didn't interfere with the telecast, I'd get to watch a couple of episodes of "The Little Rascals" --- an hour with Spanky, Alfalfa, Buckwheat, Darla, Porky and, of course, Petey were my version of a playdate and nothing short of a potential spanking could tear me away from the our television set.

I can't remember whether it was Spanky or Darla who actually said it, but the phrase "Let's put on a show!" has popped into my head a number of times this week. Despite the fact that I've been producing art for a number of years, I've never actually had my paintings hanging in a public place with my name on a placard next to it. With the prodding (and great marketing and PR skills) of my friend Karen, who has always had more confidence in me than I have in myself, I will have several paintings and drawings on paper hanging in our local coffee "institution." I kinda feel like Darla or Spanky, decorating their clubhouse like a theatre and scribbling SHOW on a piece of scrap wood. Hopefully, I'll be able to execute a show with a little more finesse!

The show will feature all new paintings and works on paper and I'll publish posts about the process over the next few weeks. In the meantime, this is the poster that will be hanging around town...

3 comments:

Patricia J. Mosca said...

Lea...
I wish you much success with this show at your local coffee shop..I had one at Starbucks last year, and although most people thought..A COFFEE SHOP? I tell you, I SOLD 14 out of 16 pieces....SO MAY YOU ENJOY A SWEET LATTE OF SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the flyer is wonderful!

:: creative brand strategies :: demand generation :: said...

Lea this is so good to hear! I agree wholeheartedly with Pattie's comment above; coffee and art usually go together very well. When people linger over a cup of coffee they enjoy looking at something beautiful, so your art will definitely fill the bill :-). Best of luck on your show!

:: creative brand strategies :: demand generation :: said...

Oh and your story about the Little Rascals - LOVED IT. It brought back such fond memories for me.