Wednesday 6 June 2007

Artist's Way....hmmmmm

At the urging of my friend, I started reading “The Artist’s Way” tonight. I can’t believe this book has been sitting on my shelf since 2003 and I’ve bothered to read beyond the introduction. I guess all the gobbledygook about god turned me off. But when I got to the part that talked about the Censor which is responsible for our blocks in creativity... that got to me. I recognized that I hear that voice all the time. My work isn’t original interesting engaging beautiful... why am I bothering... there’s so much art out there that’s good and I’ll never be able to measure up... etcetera, etcetera. I guess going through the process will help turn this voice off and unleash (ta-da!) my creativity.

I’m now at the part about the “morning pages.” I guess I’ll learn more as I keep reading. The idea of writing three pages every morning is daunting to me. I wonder if writing at night would defeat the purpose?

Let’s see where this takes me...

No comments: